Donald Trump's top foreign policy adviser said that the Republican candidate would not cancel the landmark nuclear deal with Iran if he were to become U.S. president, The Hill reported on Tuesday.
- Trump Slams Clinton's 'Pay-to-play Style' Over Iran Deal With Boeing
- Trump Approved Business Partner Whose Father Allegedly Laundered Money for Iran's Military
- Six Reasons Trump Would Be Disaster for U.S. Jews, Israel and the Middle East
“No, he’s not going to get rid of an agreement that has the institutional signature of the United States,” Walid Phares told The Daily Caller in an interview on Monday.
Instead, Phares said, Trump would "revise it after negotiating one on one with Iran."
“He’s said so far that he doesn’t like this deal and that it was poorly negotiated. Once elected, he’s going to renegotiate it after talking through it with his advisers," Phares said, adding that Trump "will send it back to Congress."
Trump said in an interview on NBC last year it would be hard to "rip up" the agreement, which he said would "lead to nuclear holocaust," but that if he was elected president he would "police that contract so tough they don't have a chance."
Iran and world powers announced on July 14 2015 that they reached a historic deal on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program, following two weeks of negotiations.
On January 16, world powers officially lifted crippling sanctions against Iran in return for Tehran complying with a deal to curb its nuclear ambitions.