Russia's REN-TV published an image on Monday evening it claimed showed the man who allegedly planted a bomb in a carriage in St. Petersburg's metro, an incident that killed at least 10 people.
- The Leads in the St. Petersburg Metro Bombing Point to Syria
- At Least 10 Killed, 47 Wounded After Blast Strikes Metro in Russia's St. Petersburg
- IN PHOTOS: Blast Tears Through Metro Station in Russia's St. Petersburg
Later on Monday evening however, Interfax news agency quoted a source as saying that the man captured on surveillance cameras had come forward and denied playing a role in the bombing, an incident that was declared a terrorist attack by Russia’s general prosecutor.
The source also told Interfax that authorities had established the identity of the suspected suicide bomber as a 23-year-old from Central Asia who had carried an explosive device into the St Petersburg metro in a rucksack.
Russian online news outlet Fontanka said earlier that the man entered Petrogradskaya station 20 minutes before the bomb detonated.
Images credited to Channel 5, a television channel based in St. Petersburg, showed an undetonated bomb at the metro station, according to a Polish-Russian reporter.
Russia's anti-terrorism committee said earlier that a second explosive device had been found and detonated at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya metro station, a different location from where the earlier blast took place.
All St. Petersburg metro stations were closed following the blast and the Moscow metro said it was taking unspecified additional security measures in case of an attack there.