British police investigating the Manchester suicide bombing said on Thursday they had found potentially suspicious items at an address in the nearby town of Wigan and had evacuated houses in the area as a precaution.
- It's Not Islam That Drives Young Europeans to Jihad, France's Top Terrorism Expert Explains
- Trump Demonstrates the Pitfalls of Intel Sharing to Prevent Future ISIS Attacks
- Trump Vows to Crackdown on 'Deeply Troubling' Intelligence Leaks by U.S. Agencies
The police raided the property earlier on Thursday after they arrested a man in the town on Wednesday in connection with the attack with killed 22 people and injured more than 100.
They said later on Thursday that the discovery of potentially suspicious items had led them to bring in bomb disposal experts to make an assessment and to put a large cordon in place.
The raid comes as part of an investigation following a suicide bombing that killed 22 at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester on Monday.
Police are hunting for a possible bomb-maker after the 22-year-old attacker, British-born Salman Abedi, detonated a sophisticated device at a concert venue packed with children. In addition to the 22 people who died, 64 were injured.
Earlier Thursday British Prime Minister Theresa May said that the terror threat level in the U.K. will remain at critical after it had been raised as a result of the attack.
Another reported suspicious package in Manchester on Thursday was subsequently deemed safe by British army bomb disposal experts.
British media had reported that the U.K. government was "furious" over the leaks of details about the investigation which police feared could hinder a hunt for a possible bomb-maker still at large.
In a statement released on Thursday after Trump arrived at the NATO summit, the U.S. president vowed to bring anyone caught leaking American intelligence to justice after British police stopped sharing information about the Manchester suicide bombing with the United States.
"The alleged leaks coming out of government agencies are deeply troubling," Trump said in the statement. "I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."