Islamic State said the London Bridge attack on Friday was carried out by one of its fighters, the group's Amaq news agency reported on Saturday. The group did not provide any evidence.
It added that the attack was made in response to Islamic State calls to target countries that have been part of a coalition fighting the jihadist group.
Haaretz Weekly Episode 51
British police on Friday shot dead a man, Usman Khan, wearing a fake suicide vest who stabbed two people to death in London and wounded three more before being wrestled to the ground by bystanders, in what the authorities called a terrorist attack.
- London Attacker Was Released Without Danger Assessment Last Year
- London Gave Shelter to Radical Islam and Now It's Paying the Price, French Terrorism Expert Says
- It's Not Islam That Drives Young Europeans to Jihad, France's Top Terrorism Expert Explains
Nine years before Khan killed two people in a stabbing spree on London Bridge, he was overheard by British security services discussing how to use an al Qaeda manual he had memorised to build a pipe bomb.
It was a snippet of conversation, along with other intelligence about a plot to bomb the London Stock Exchange, that prompted British police to arrest Khan - then 19 years old - and a group of older men on December 20, 2010.
Sentenced to an minimum of 8 years in prison in 2012 with a requirement that the parole board assess his danger to the public before release, he was released in December 2018 - without a parole board assessment.
On Friday, he strapped on a fake suicide vest, armed himself with large kitchen knives and went on the rampage at a conference on prisoner rehabilitation beside London Bridge.
It is so far unclear why Khan, now 28, began his rampage on London Bridge - also the scene of a deadly attack before the 2017 election. Then, three militants drove a van into pedestrians before stabbing people in the surrounding area, killing eight and injuring at least 48.