Twenty-one of the more than 200 girls kidnapped over two years ago in a raid on their school in Chibok town in Nigeria by Boko Haram militants have been released, the BBC reported on Thursday citing a Nigerian government official.
- Boko Haram video shows Chibok schoolgirls abducted in 2014
- Boko Haram attack kills 86 in Nigerian northeast
- Boko Haram internally fractured over ISIS ties, U.S. general says
Two spokesman for Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari told Reuters they were unaware of the report. Military spokesmen have not responded to phone calls or text messages.
In August, a video appearing to come from Boko Haram was released showing one of the girls begging Nigeria's government to exchange detained militants for the girls' freedom. Other girls had been killed or crippled by Nigerian militant airstrikes, according to the video.
The mass abduction in April 2014 brought Boko Haram to the world's attention and even got the participation of U.S. first lady Michelle Obama in the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign, promising her husband would do all in his power to help liberate them.