U.S. President Donald Trump said all options to respond to North Korea were on the table after Pyongyang fired a ballistic missile over Japan earlier on Tuesday.
- North Korea Says Its Nukes Will Never Be Up for Negotiation
- North Korea's Essential Films and Books You Need to Discover
- Israel and South Korea Have More in Common Than You Realize
"The world has received North Korea's latest message loud and clear: this regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations, and for minimum standards of acceptable international behavior," Trump said in the statement released by the White House.
"Threatening and destabilizing actions only increase the North Korean regime's isolation in the region and among all nations of the world. All options are on the table," Trump said.
The last North Korean projectile to fly over Japan was in 2009. The United States, Japan and South Korea considered that launch to have been a ballistic missile test while North Korea said it was a rocket carrying a communications satellite into orbit.
South Korea's military said the latest missile was launched from the Sunan region near the North Korean capital Pyongyang just before 6 A.M. local time and flew 2,700 kilometers (1,678 miles), reaching the altitude of about 550 kilometers.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the North Korean missile fell into the sea 1,180 kilometers (733 miles) east of the Cape of Erimo on Hokkaido.
"It is an unprecedented, serious and grave threat to our nation," Suga told a briefing, adding the government had protested the move in the strongest terms.
Suga said the launch was a clear violation of United Nations resolutions and Japan will work closely with the United States, South Korea and other concerned nations on a response, he said.
Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported the missile broke into three pieces and fell into the waters off Hokkaido.
The Japanese government's J-Alert warning system advised people in the area to take precautions.
The Japanese military did not attempt to shoot down the missile, which passed over Japanese territory around 6:06 A.M.
Japanese officials made their usual strongly worded condemnations of the launch.
"We will do our utmost to protect people's lives," Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said. Abe said he had a 40-minute phone chat with Trump in which they analyzed North Korea's latest missile launch and what action to take. "This reckless act of launching a missile that flies over our country is an unprecedented, serious and important threat," the prime minister added.
The Pentagon confirmed the missile flew over Japan but did not pose a threat to North America and said it was gathering further information.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who was visiting the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah, condemned North Korea's missile launch and called on Pyongyang to comply with international obligations and work toward reopening communications.
"The launch undermines regional security and stability and efforts to create space for dialogue," a spokeswoman for Guterres said in a statement.
The European Union's foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said that the missile test represent "a serious threat to international peace and security."
"These actions constitute outright violations of the DPRK's international obligations, as set out in several UN Security Council resolutions," Mogherini said in a statement. "I express my full support to Japan and the people of Japan in the face of this direct threat."
Mogherini called on North Korea to "comply without delay, fully and unconditionally, with its obligations under all relevant UN Security Council resolutions and refrain from any further provocative action that could increase regional and global tensions."
In a diplomatic speech in Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron expressed support for Japan in its concern over the missile test. He urged "intransigent" policies toward Pyongyang to avoid further escalation, and said France is ready to do "everything possible ... to bring Pyongyang to the table." He did not elaborate.
The foreign ministers of Russia and the United Arab Emirates both calling for North Korea to obey United Nations resolutions. Sergey Lavrov and his Emirati counterpart, Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, made the comments during a news conference on Tuesday in Abu Dhabi, the oil-rich capital of the UAE.
The U.S. ambassador to the UN's forum on disarmament the missile test over Japan is of "great concern" but fits a "pattern" by the reclusive regime.
Robert Wood urged the international community to "speak out early and often" against such saber-rattling by Pyongyang. He was speaking ahead of a plenary meeting of the Conference on Disarmament, also attended by North Korea's ambassador.
Wood told reporters that "we still need to do further analysis" of the missile firing before commenting fully on its impact.
German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel condemned the test and said Germany backed U.S. efforts to persuade Pyongyang to return to the negotiating table.
Gabriel, who is due to meet U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson later Tuesday in Washington, said he was dismayed by North Korea's "brutal" violation of UN Security Council resolutions and international law.
The German minister welcomed calls for an emergency session of the UN Security Council to discuss ways to defuse the dangerous standoff with North Korea.
The launch marks a sharp escalation in tensions over Pyongyang's pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles in defiance of UN sanctions.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this month threatened to fire missiles into the sea near the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam and U.S. President Donald Trump warned Pyongyang would face "fire and fury" if it threatened the United States.