ISIS Claims Responsibility for Deadly Toronto Shooting

Two were killed and 13 wounded in incident ■ Group did not provide further detail or evidence for its claim

People sign a makeshift memorial on Danforth Ave. where people are adding flowers and messages to honour and remember the victims of Sunday night's mass shooting on July 24, 2018 in Toronto, Canada.
Cole Burston/Getty Images/AFP

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a shooting in Toronto on Sunday that killed two people and wounded 13, the group's AMAQ news agency said on Wednesday.

The attacker "was a soldier of the Islamic State and carried out the attack in response to calls to target the citizens of the coalition countries," a statement by the group said.

The group did not provide further detail or evidence for its claim. 

Toronto police identified the 10-year-old girl killed in Sunday's mass shooting as Julianna Kozis, stating that she is from Markham, Ontario. Police previously identified the other person killed in the shooting as 18-year-old Reese Fallon.

The Toronto City Council has voted overwhelmingly to urge Canada's federal and provincial government to ban the sale of handguns and handgun ammunition in the largest city in the country. The council's 41-4 vote came two days after a man shot two people to death and wounded 13 others in the city.

Council members discussed gun violence, its causes, its effects and potential solutions during a meeting that began Tuesday morning and lasted into the evening.

Canada's public safety minister says Ottawa was already considering tightening handgun laws even before Sunday night's shooting.
It's unclear how the shooter obtained his weapon.