Report: New York Police Inspect Buses After Blast Near Tel Aviv

Preemptive caution follows blast on bus in which none were wounded.

The NYPD has begun conducting random inspections on buses after a suspected terror attack on a bus in Israel, CBS New York reported Sunday.

According to the report, the inspections were being conducted "out of an abundance of caution."

On Sunday, a bomb exploded in Bat Yam, a city south of Tel Aviv. After having cited a suspicious bag on the bus, a passenger had alerted the driver, who parked the vehicle and ordered all passengers to disembark. Shortly thereafter, after a police bomb squad arrived at the site and began inspecting the suspicious object. The bomb then exploded, shattering all the bus windows and charring the sides of the vehicle.

No one was injured in the blast. The expert inspecting the explosive at the time also escaped without injury.

It is not yet clear who planted the bomb, though Israeli police and Shin Bet believe that it was a Palestinian terrorist attack, and are treating it as such. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

President Shimon Peres later phoned and thanked the bus driver and the passenger who discovered the explosive. “The nation owes you a debt of gratitude and I would like to personally congratulate you for this act of bravery,” Peres told bus driver Michael Yoger.

The last explosion on a bus in Israel occurred in Tel Aviv in November 2012. At least 28 people were wounded in that incident. An Israeli Arab pleaded guilty earlier this month to planting the bomb for political reasons.

A decade ago, Israel experienced a rash of Palestinian suicide bombings on buses, in restaurants and in other public spaces. More than 3,000 Palestinians and 1,000 Israelis died in several years of fighting.

But tensions have subsided in recent years. The neighboring West Bank, however, has seen a recent uptick in Israeli-Palestinian violence, though senior Israeli officials believe the various incidents there have not been connected to each other.