The Washington Post reported Monday morning that the Kushner Companies confirm U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law and White House adviser Jared Kushner's father met with the Qatari finance minister three months after U.S. President Donald Trump was inaugurated.
“I was invited to a meeting,” Charle Kushner said in a statement to The Washington Post. “Before the meeting, Kushner Companies had decided that it was not going to accept sovereign wealth fund investments. We informed the Qatar representatives of our decision and they agreed. Even if they were there ready to wire the money, we would not have taken it.”
Kushner admitted he discussed Qatar investing in a troubled New York City property, but that he turned any possible investment.
This new revelation comes as both Special Counsel Robert Mueller and the U.S. Congress are investigating Jared Kushner's business practices while working as a White House official, looking for any possible conflicts of interest.
Democrats want to subpoena documents related to interim security clearances and testimony from Kushner "related to his conflicts of interest and his actions leading to the stripping of his Top Secret security clearance."
Federal investigators are looking into whether Kushner's business talks with foreigners during the presidential transition had any influence on later White House policy, NBC News reported on March 2.
Representative Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform blamed Republican committee chairman Representative Trey Gowdy, for not pressing the White House enough.
During his tenure as chairman of the committee, Gowdy "has sought information from the White House in three separate investigations, but the White House has defied the Committee's requests every time — with absolutely no repercussions," Cummings wrote in an email to Reuters.
"It is now clear that the White House will not respond to this Committee unless it is compelled to do so," Cummings said.
A spokeswoman for Gowdy had no immediate reply to a request for comment on Cummings' statement.
Cummings sent Gowdy a letter last week noting that Gowdy had sent three letters to the White House seeking detailed information about its handling of security clearances. The only White House response to Gowdy described how it had set up a "working group" on the issue that would brief Gowdy's committee "at the appropriate time," Cummings said.
Last week, Amanda Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for Gowdy, said: "The Chairman finds the White House’s response inadequate, and we have communicated to the White House that we expect full compliance."
At least six White House advisers used private email accounts last year to discuss White House matters, the New York Times reported in September. At least three Trump administration officials are being investigated by congressional panels for using private jets on official business.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now