Former Journalist Pleads Guilty to Threatening Jewish Centers

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
This undated photo provided by the Warren County Sheriff's Department shows Juan Thompson, of St. Louis.
This undated photo provided by the Warren County Sheriff's Department shows Juan Thompson, of St. Louis.Credit: /AP

A former journalist charged with calling in bomb threats to U.S. Jewish centers as part of a plot to get revenge on his ex-girlfriend pleaded guilty on Tuesday to cyberstalking and making hoax threats. 

Juan Thompson, 32, entered his plea before U.S. District Judge Kevin Castel in Manhattan federal court. 

Showing little emotion, Thompson admitted that starting in 2016, he sent emails and faxes to his former romantic partner's employer containing false and salacious claims, and sent bomb threats to community centers, for which he tried to frame her. 

"I committed all of these acts with the intent to disrupt my ex-romantic partner's life and cause her great distress," he said. "For this, I deeply apologize." 

One of Thompson's lawyers, Mark Gombiner, said in court that he had agreed not to appeal any sentence of 46 months or less. 

Thompson was arrested in St. Louis, Missouri on March 3, and has been in custody since then, charged with one count of cyberstalking. A second count of making hoax bomb threats was added in a superseding criminal information revealed on Tuesday. 

Federal prosecutors said Thompson engaged in a vicious, months-long harassment campaign against his ex-girlfriend, using various email accounts to accuse her of possessing child pornography, driving drunk and, finally, making bomb threats targeting Jewish groups. 

Thompson made some threats in his own name and then accused his ex-girlfriend of framing him, and made other threats posing as her, prosecutors said. 

U.S. authorities have been investigating a surge of threats against Jewish organizations, including more than 100 bomb threats against community centers in dozens of states in separate waves since January. 

The organizations Thompson threatened included a Jewish museum in New York and the Anti-Defamation League, according to a criminal complaint in Manhattan federal court. All occurred after the first flood of phone threats in early January. 

Thompson was a reporter for the Intercept news website, which fired him last year saying he invented sources and quotes. 

In April, an Israeli-American 18-year-old was charged with making hundreds of threatening phone calls to Jewish community centers all over the U.S.

Michael Ron David Kadar was charged with 28 counts of making threatening calls and conveying false information to police, according to the indictment filed Friday in federal court in Orlando.

He was also charged with three more counts of making threatening calls, conveying false information and cyberstalking in an indictment filed in federal court in Athens, Georgia.