Uri Bar-Lev Accuser Orly Innes Tells Police She Is Being Stalked and Harassed

Innes says part of the efforts to scare her include breaking into of her car, stealing of a bag containing personal documents.

Dr. Orly Innes filed a complaint with the police yesterday, claiming that over the past two months, she had been the victim of harassment and attempts to frighten her. Innes, whose claims last autumn about then-Public Security Ministry director general Hagai Peleg and about Uri Bar-Lev, who was then a candidate for national police chief, led to the opening of investigations into both men, said that part of the efforts to scare her included the breaking into of her car and the theft of a bag containing personal documents. She also claimed that in recent months, she sensed that she was under surveillance.

Haaretz has learned that a police unit, Lahav 433, is investigating the complaints and that Innes has been in regular contact with the detectives.

Orly Innes
Tali Mayer

Innes has reportedly told people close to her that she feels that she is in real danger and fears that she may be harmed. She refused however, when contacted yesterday by Haaretz, to make any comment on her complaints to the police.

For its part, the police also refused to respond to a question from Haaretz regarding whether the national fraud squad has been investigating, during the past few months, complaints filed by Innes.

Innes filed a complaint with the Civil Service Commission against Hagai Peleg, who, when he was the Public Security Ministry's director general, had overseen Cities Without Violence, the program that she coordinated as a consultant for the ministry. Among her complaints, Innes said that Peleg harassed her and even sexually harassed her. Peleg has denied her claims.

On the basis of information received by the Justice Ministry's department for the investigation of police officers, Innes provided information on an incident that allegedly occurred at a conference in Eilat, according to which Maj. Gen. Uri Bar-Lev, former Israel police representative in the United States, harassed her.

As a result of the information provided by Innes, and even though no official complaint was filed against Bar-Lev, the department embarked on an investigation of the officer, during which additional complaints were received against him. In one complaint, he was alleged to have raped a woman at a Herzliya hotel, after she had been drugged.

In the end, the investigations department recommended to State Attorney Moshe Lador that charges should be brought against Bar-Lev for indecent assault and sexual harassment. It also concluded that insufficient evidence existed for an indictment on rape charges.

As reported in Haaretz last week, there are currently contacts between Bar-Lev's attorney, Dori Klagsbald, and Uri Carmel, who heads the investigations department, intended to conclude the case against Bar-Lev without having to bring the matter before a court of law. The framework deal that is being discussed includes Bar-Lev leaving the police force without his retirement package being harmed, and apologizing to Innes, in return for which the case against him will be closed.

In the exchanges with Carmel, Klagsbald argued that Bar-Lev had already paid a heavy personal toll in the case, since he was publicly suspected of a rape that didn't take place. Moreover, the lawyer for Bar-Lev argued that there was no chance the court would convict his client of sexual offenses, even on the basis of Innes' version of events.

A meeting is scheduled to take place today between Innes and the leadership of Carmel's department, in which the deal that is being worked out will be presented to her.

Sources close to Innes said recently that she is finding it difficult to accept the deal being worked out with Bar-Lev and that she believes that the court is the appropriate forum for the matter to be decided.