Two Wounded in Jerusalem Stabbing Attack as Wave of Terror Mounts

Incident marks fourth attack in just over 24 hours; two additional attacks thwarted Wednesday; police apprehend assailant.


Two men were wounded in Jerusalem on Thursday in the fourth stabbing attack in just over 24 hours.

The first victim was wounded when a Palestinian man stabbed him in his upper body near a light-rail train station in the capital. A second man was wounded while wrestling with the suspect after the stabbing. 

Magen David Adom medics treated the first victim, a 25-year-old yeshiva student, at the site and then evacuated him in serious condition to Shaare Zedek Medical Center. They also treated the second victim, who suffered light wounds.

The assailant was identified as Subhi Ibrahim Mohammed Abu Khalifa, 19, a resident of the Shoafat refugee camp nearby Jerusalem. Israeli security services said he had not been arrested in the past. He was handed over to the Shin Bet security service for interrogation.


The Israel Police said members of the special forces unit Yasam who were close to the scene apprehended the assailant shortly after he carried out the attack.

The stabbing took place shortly after 12 PM at a light-rail train station on Haim Bar-Lev Boulevard, outside the National Police Headquarters. In light of the attack, light-rail operations were partially suspended throughout the capital.

A preliminary report on Channel 2 News said the teenager attempted to seize the weapon of a security guard at the light-rail train station, but after failing to wield the weapon, he drew a knife that he had been carrying and stabbed the Jewish student.

Nahman Ravivo, a member of the voluntary emergency service ZAKA, said he lives nearby and quickly arrived at the site of the stabbing. "I saw a yeshiva boy aged about 20 who had been stabbed in the throat and was in serious condition, but conscious. I started treating him while we waited for the ambulance to arrive. I saw that across the street people were wrestling with the stabber to apprehend him."

A senior MDA paramedic, Gadi Miller, who arrived at the scene, said, "Lying on the road by a bus stop was a 25-year-old young man with stab wounds to his upper body. Beside him were MDA paramedics who had arrived at the site and gave him lifesaving treatment, which included bandaging, and evacuated him in serious condition to hospital. Meanwhile, at the site, we continued to treat a second victim who was lightly wounded in his limbs in a clash with the terrorist."

Olivier Fitoussi

Thursday's attack came after the recent wave of terrorism reached central Israel on Wednesday.

That morning, an Israeli woman from the settlement of Tekoa sustained light wounds when Palestinians threw stones at her car.

Then, at around 10:45 AM, an 18-year-old Palestinian woman stabbed a Jewish man in the Old City of Jerusalem.

That afternoon, a Palestinian man stabbed a soldier in Kiryat Gat and snatched his rifle. He then entered a nearby residential building, where he attempted to claim additional victims, before security forces arrived and shot him dead.

Nir Hasson

The next stabbing attack took place in Petah Tikva at 6:30 PM, when a Palestinian man stabbed an Israeli man outside a large shopping mall.

That evening, police in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Abu Tor averted a fourth stabbing attack when they approached a Palestinian teenager who struck them as suspicious. The boy, 15, pulled a knife and tried to stab them, according to Inspector Dror Mizrachi, deputy commander of the Border Police unit in Jerusalem. The police promptly arrested him.

Also that evening, a fifth attack was believed to have been thwarted when police at the Al-Zayim checkpoint near Jerusalem’s Mount Scopus grew suspicious of a car approaching from the direction of the settlement of Ma’aleh Adumim and opened fire at it, wounding the driver, who was taken to hospital in moderate condition.

Throughout the day, dozens of Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israel Defense Forces soldiers in the West Bank.