Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Thursday likened Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's "massacre" in Gaza to the terrorists who killed 17 people in Paris last week, AFP reported.
"As the terrorists who perpetrated the massacres of Paris, Netanyahu has committed crimes against humanity at the head of a government that massacred children playing on the Gaza shores," Davutoglu told reporters in Ankara.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made a similar remark earlier this week, when he said of Netanyahu: "Someone who fomented state terrorism with the death of 2,500 people in Gaza is now there [in Paris], waving at other world leaders and marching hand in hand with them."
In Davutoglu's remarks to the press on Thursday, the Turkish premier also slammed the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo's decision to print in its tribute edition to those killed in the shooting attack last week a caricature of the prophet Mohammed, claiming that: "Freedom of expression is not freedom to insult."
The cover of Wednesday's edition showed the Muslim prophet holding a sign saying "Je suis Charlie," under the caption "All is forgiven."
- Erdogan: Netanyahu fomented terror in Gaza, now marching for peace in Paris
- Middle East Updates / Turkish court bans websites publishing Charlie Hebdo cover
- Turkey: Paris attacks accomplice crossed into Syria one day after Charlie Hebdo attack
- Erdogan warns of clash of civilizations following Paris attacks
- Turkish PM accuses Netanyahu of terrorism, says Israeli 'provocations' radicalizing Muslim world
- Freedom march in Paris? Erdogan is busy curbing freedom of speech in Turkey
- Lieberman: Israel's apology to Turkey was a great mistake
"The publication of such caricature is a provocation," Davoutoglu said. "We cannot accept insults to the Prophet," stressed the head of the Turkish government.
A Turkish court on Wednesday ordered the telecommunications authority to ban access to websites showing Charlie Hebdo's front cover with the image of the Prophet Mohammed.
The ban, which would block access to the websites in Turkey, was ordered by a court in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir, according to the Dogan news agency. The decision came from the court, because a lawyer in Diyarbakir filed a petition saying the websites were a danger to "public order."