A Turkish court has ordered a fresh examination of the Mavi Marmara, the Turkish ship on which nine people were killed by Israeli troops in 2010 while attempting to break to blockade of the Gaza Strip.
In a statement released on Wednesday, the court said that the ship will be examined by a police-appointed expert, victims and the court itself on May 25 in Istanbul, the Hurriyet Daily News reported.
The Mavi Marmara was part of the so-called Freedom Flotilla, which attempted to sail to Gaza in May 2010. Eight Turkish nationals and an American of Turkish origin were killed in the violence that followed the boarding of the ship by an Israeli force. Another person died in a Turkish hospital in 2014 after being in a coma for almost four years.
- Activists to send flotilla to challenge Israel's blockade of Gaza
- Haaretz exclusive: Organizer of Gaza flotilla sought assistance from Assad's office
- ICC says won't probe Israeli raid on Gaza-bound flotilla
Four Israelis – former Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, former navy head Eliezer Marom, former head of military intelligence Amos Yadlin and former air force intelligence chief Avishai Levy – are being tried in absentia by the Istanbul court for their roles in the incident.
The International Criminal Court in the Hague declined last year to investigate the raid, saying it was beyond its remit.
The convoy organized by the Turkish aid agency Humanitarian Aid Foundation (IHH), and was carrying humanitarian aid and construction materials for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu apologized for the raid in a telephone conversation with then-Prime MinisterRecep Tayyip Erdoğan in May 2013. The two agreed to enter into negotiations for the payment of compensation.