Turkey has blocked access to YouTube, a day after a court ordered a suspension of a ban on the social media website Twitter, the BBC reported Thursday.
- Turkey’s Twitter battlefield
- Turkish court lifts Twitter ban
- Ahead of vote, Erdogan paints picture of Turkey besieged by enemies
- Turkey's Erdogan urges voters to 'Ottoman slap' rivals
- Eight killed in clashes during Turkey's municipal elections
- As Turkey goes to the polls, Erdogan’s future may hang in the balance
- Google: Turkey intercepting our Internet name servers
- Turkey's top court rules YouTube ban violates rights
Turkey's telecommunications authority TiB confirmed it has taken moves to block YouTube. According to Reuters, the YouTube ban was ordered hours after leaked recordings of a key security meeting were published on the video sharing website.
Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday the posting on YouTube of a recording purportedly of top officials discussing possible military operations in Syria was "villainous".
"They even leaked a national security meeting. This is villainous, this is dishonesty (...) Who are you serving by doing audio surveillance of such an important meeting?" Erdogan told a crowd of supporters in Diyarbakir.
A spokesperson for Google, Inc. confirmed reports of the site being down. “We're seeing reports that some users are not able to access YouTube in Turkey. There is no technical issue on our side and we’re looking into the situation,” the spokesperson said.
A Turkish court on Wednesday overruled the decision last week to ban Twitter in the country. Courts in Turkey blocked access after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's defiant vow, on the campaign trail on Thursday ahead of March 30 local elections, to "wipe out" the social media service, whatever the international community had to say about it.