Three more suspects have been taken into custody in connection with the April 15 Boston Marathon bombings, police said on Wedensday.
The announcement was made on the Boston Police Department's Twitter account, where it has routinely made announcements related to the case. It said details of the arrests were to follow.
Dual bombings at the Boston Marathon killed three spectators and wounded more than 250 people near the race's finish line.
The suspects, Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, allegedly later killed a police officer before leading law enforcement officials on a manhunt.
- Obama Defends U.S. Security Services in Boston Bombing Probe
- Three Men Charged With Undermining Boston Bombing Probe
- Boston Bombing Suspects Had Planned July 4 Attack, Official Says
A U.S. law enforcement source said that two of the suspects taken into custody on Wednesday include classmates of the younger brother at the University of Massachusetts in Dartmouth.
They are being held by immigration officials for violating the terms of their visas. The source said they are likely to face charges related to obstruction of justice and with making false statements to investigators.
Police are investigating whether the classmates threw away a backpack at Tsarnaev's request after the bombing. Last week, law enforcement
officials were seen searching dumps in southeastern Massachusetts.
The third person taken into custody on Wednesday was a U.S. citizen, and all three were being investigated for actions taken after the bombings, the U.S. law enforcement source said.
A Boston police spokeswoman, Katherine Shea, said she had no further details to provide on the suspects after their detention was reported on the department's official Twitter feed. Police said the arrests posed no danger to the public.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed in a shootout with police during the chase while his younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, escaped and was captured hours later. He is now in a prison hospital and has been questioned by authorities.