Woman Killed as Rocket Directly Hits Negev Home

Two rockets strike school zone Monday morning, minutes before area was to be flooded with children.

A 70-year-old woman was killed Monday in a rocket attack from the Gaza Strip, the rescue service said.

The victim was named as Shuli Katz, of Kibbutz Gvaram.

The rocket hit a house in Moshav Yesha, where Katz was a guest, 15 kilometers (9 miles) east of Gaza. The rocket struck farther away than the usual targets of rockets fired by Gaza militants.

No one else was hurt, the rescue service said.

The attack came as the Egyptian chief of intelligence wrapped up talks with Israel about a truce with Hamas to end rocket attacks and Israeli reprisals.

Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the deadly rocket, apparently a Grad, after two similar rockets exploded in the southern city of Ashkelon in the morning. Islamic Jihad has fired most of the Grad rockets, while other Gaza militant groups aim crude homemade rockets at Israeli villages.

Israel has charged that Islamic Jihad receives its rockets from Iran.

Government spokesman Mark Regev denounced the attack but did not say it would halt the truce talks. "The rocket fire into Israel will end, it will end either because calm will be achieved, or Israel will act to protect its people," he said.

President Shimon Peres commented on the tragic incident Monday evening, saying "the war continues ? we are not free of worries, but we must remain hopeful and never succumb to the ongoing terror from the Strip."

Earlier Monday, two rockets hit Ashkelon. One of the rockets struck an area crowded with many schools and kindergartens at 7 A.M., only minutes before children normally flood the area.

The second rocket struck the Ashkelon National Park.

One woman was treated for shock and some homes sustained damage.

On Sunday, Gaza militants fired three rockets at the western Negev, one of which exploded next to a schoolbus carrying children.

Two of the rockets, fired Sunday afternoon, hit populated areas in Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council.

There were no injuries in either of the strikes. The first rocket landed near Sapir College, damaging a local construction site.

The second Qassam exploded near a local gas station, causing damage to the school bus. There were no casualties reported, but several people were treated for shock.

On Saturday, an Israeli civilian was killed when a mortar shell exploded as he tended his garden in the community of Kfar Aza. Jimmy Kdoshim, 48, was laid to rest in the cemetery near his home.

At least 21 rockets hit the western Negev over the weekend.

Israel resumes fuel supply to Gaza

A senior Gaza energy official said Monday that Israel had resumed its supply of fuel for a Gaza power plant idled two days ago.

The official, Kaanan Obeid, said he expected the power plant to start operating again later Monday.

Obeid said the plant was shut down Saturday because it ran out of fuel, normally supplied by Israel. It was not clear whether the plant actually ran out of fuel or whether Gaza energy officials were trying to exaggerate the impression of crisis.

Israel has severely limited shipments to pressure Palestinian militants to halt their rocket barrages.

The idled power plant supplies electricity to about 400,000 people. However, most of Gaza's electricity is piped directly from Israel, so residents still received electricity for about six hours a day despite the plant shutdown.