Suspect in Grisly Haifa-area Murder Remanded for 10 Days

Ivtor Avshalomov, 52, allegedly beat Larissa Davidov severely before dousing her with lighter fluid.

A Haifa-area magistrate's court Monday remanded Ivtor Avshalomov for an additional 10 days in custody on suspicions that the 52-year-old man from Kiryat Yam beat and burned his partner to death.

Police have said that Avshalomov confessed to the murder of Larissa Davidov, linking the killing to an affair he said she was having with a bus driver. Police sources said Avshalomov allegedly beat Davidov severely, then doused her with barbecue lighting fluid and setting the fluid ablaze. He has not voiced regret over the act, officers said.

At the arraignment hearing Monday, attorneys for Avshalomov asked that he be given a psychiatric examination.

Police sources said the couple had been together for more than 10 years, and had two children, aged 7 and 16. Davidov and Avshalomov were the biological parents of the younger son. Social workers said relatives will be consulted over who will be entrusted with the care of the children.

Prior to the killing, Davidov was with Avshalomov at her apartment, waiting for a plumber who was supposed to repair the pipes.

Zvulun regional police commander, Jamal Hakrush, said he received reports at roughly 2 P.M. of screams coming from the third floor of the couple's apartment building. Neighbors said they heard the two arguing about money before hearing her scream.

Hakrush said that police officers arrived at the scene roughly two minutes later, saw the woman's body burning and helped extinguish the flames. The officers arrested the man. A Magen David Adom rescue team pronounced the woman dead.

Neighbors in the area said that the couple did not live in the apartment, but rented it out, and arrived just for the repairs.

"He swore in Russian," one neighbor said. "He called her a whore. She was a good woman, and she worked very hard," she added. Davidov worked as an orderly at Bnei Tzion Hospital.

Under interrogation, "He said that he worked 12 hours every day to provide for her and her son, and that he was upset over her infidelities," one police officer told Haaretz.

The suspect reportedly became angry after his wife made fun of him when he confronted her about her alleged affair, and after he told her to stop seeing the lover. One of the victim's family members said he had heard the suspect stabbed Davidov to death before he set fire to her body.

Officials from the municipality said that last week Davidov sought legal advice from the city on how to receive alimony from her partner. They said she told city employees that she intended to leave him.