Magen David Adom: Rival Ambulance Company 'Kidnapped' Our Patient

Row between Magen David Adom and a private ambulance company delays treatment for gun shot victim.

A 21-year-old man with a head shot wound was delayed from hospitalization on Wednesday due to a disagreement between rescue services Magen David Adom and a private ambulance company.

Both emergency companies arrived at the scene in Nazareth to transport the wounded man to the hospital.

The Magen David Adom team, including a paramedic and a driver, arrived at the scene first and started treating the man.

Moments after they had inserted the man with a respiration aid, a second ambulance from the private Nazareth rescue service Hatzala arrived at the scene with a company doctor.

Once the respiratory pipe was inserted the Magen David Adom paramedic decided that the wounded needed to be evacuated by helicopter to the nearby Rambam hospital in Haifa.

According to the Magen David Adom paramedic, the ambulance stopped at the side of the road to finalize the meeting point with the helicopter when the doctor from the Hatzala rescue service entered the ambulance and said that the man was only lightly wounded and didn't need to be evacuated by helicopter.

Chief Magen David Adom spokesman Yeruham Mendola said that the paramedic on the scene did not agree with the doctor who had forced his way into the ambulance, and that they had "kidnapped the wounded."

He added that the Hatzala ambulance made its way to the British hospital in Nazereth were they refused to admit the patient and said that he must be transferred to Rambam via helicopter.

The ambulance then made its way with the patient to the hospital in Haifa.

Hatzala spokesman said that the ambulance did not attempt to admit the man in the British hospital in Nazareth but rather drove straight to Rambam.

"It is true that the Magen David Adom ambulance arrived first at the scene but the Health Ministry's regulations state that if a doctor is present he has the authority to decide on the treatment," said Ilan Ziv, head of Hatzala services.

"The patient arrived at Rambam hospital within 24 minutes and upon arrival it turned out that the doctor was right in his appraisal of the situation," he added.

In response Magen David Adom has filed a complaint against the private rescue company.

The patient was hospitalized with superficial head wounds, and is currently sedated and under observation.