Jordan Rebukes Israel Over Temple Mount Strife

Islamic leader urges Israeli Arabs: Rally at Temple Mount; Israel keeps site closed after day of clashes.

The Jordanian government on Sunday summoned Israel's envoy to Amman for rebuke over the recent tensions at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

Ambassador Jacob Rosen was called in to Jordan's Foreign Ministry, following a day of clashes at the old city compound. This is the second time in a week that Jordan has called in an Israeli diplomat regarding the Temple Mount tensions.

In its rebuke, Jordan called Israeli activities in East Jerusalem "illegal and illegitimate," adding that it represented a violation of Israel's commitments to peace.

An Islamic Movement leader earlier Sunday urged Muslims across Israel to gather at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem to prevent extreme right-wing Jews from entering the compound to pray.

"I call on everyone in Jerusalem and within the Green Line to come to the [Al-Qasa] mosque and show your presence," said Sheik Ra'ad Salah, who heads the northern branch of the Islamic Movement.

Following the clashes near the Temple Mount on Sunday, Israeli security forces have decided to limit access to the compound for another day.

The compound will be open only to men over the age of 50 with a valid Israeli identification card and to women of all ages.

Tensions in the Old City seemed to have calmed by late Sunday afternoon, following hours of clashes between Arab youth and security forces.

Israeli security forces released from custody Jerusalem's senior Fatah official, Khatem Abed Al-Kadr, who was arrested earlier in the day on suspicion of inciting riots.

Al-Kadr was released on condition that he not enter the Old City of Jerusalem and that he remain at least 250 meters from the area gates for 15 days. He was released on NIS 10,000 bail.

Deputy leader of Israel's northern Islamic Movement, Sheikh Kemal Khativ, was also released on similar conditions.

Some 150 Palestinian protesters hurled rocks and bottles at Israeli police on Sunday after being barred from one of the holiest shrines in Jerusalem, on Temple Mount.

Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby said police have dispersed the demonstrators who had gathered near the disputed hilltop compound.

One police officer was lightly hurt in the clash.

Ben-Ruby said that the unrest continued at a nearby East Jerusalem neighborhood and that three men have been detained.

Earlier Sunday, police closed the Temple Mount complex to visitors. The complex is sacred to Jews as the site of the two biblical Jewish temples and to Muslims as home of the al-Aqsa mosque.

The closure was imposed after Palestinians rioted at the site last week on Yom Kippur. The northern chapter of the Islamic Movement reported Sunday morning that buses en route to the Al-Aqsa mosque had been detained on route 6.

It was further reported that tensions were high in the area following recent calls on Muslim residents of East Jerusalem to show a presence at the mosque.

On Friday, the Islamic Movement held a rally in the Israeli Arab town of Umm al-Fahm, under the heading "Al-Aqsa is in danger." The rally is a 14-year old annual tradition.

Salah warned Friday against Israel's alleged plan to take over the mosque. "[Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu will set the Middle East on fire," the movement's leader told his supporters at the rally.