Bulgaria's interior minister says new evidence has bolstered its case implicating Hezbollah in a deadly July 2012 bus bombing, but investigators still do not know the specific identities of the suspects.
- EU likely to add Hezbollah’s military wing to list of terror groups, Israeli officials say
- Bulgaria: Burgas bombers are living in Lebanon
- Germany officially backs EU terror label for Hezbollah's military wing
- Bulgaria will not take lead in blacklisting Hezbollah, says PM
- Iran denies involvement in Burgas bus bombing that killed five Israelis
- Lebanon to ask EU not to declare Hezbollah terrorist organization
- FBI joins search for Burgas bombers
Tsvetlin Yovchev would not give further details Wednesday, saying the investigation was ongoing.
The attack in the Black Sea resort of Burgas killed five Israeli tourists, the bus driver and an alleged perpetrator.
The June deadline for the investigation has been extended by five months by prosecutors who said that written testimony by Israeli survivors was only received earlier this month.
In February, an official Bulgarian report said investigators had "well-grounded reasons" to suggest that two men suspected in the attack belonged to the militant wing of Hezbollah.
Meanwhile, foreign ministers of the European Union are likely to add Hezbollah’s military wing to the body's list of designated terror organizations when they meet on July 22, according to high-ranking Foreign Ministry officials in Jerusalem.
The officials said Britain and the United States are pressing several EU countries that are reluctant to back such a move.
One Israeli official expressed cautious optimism that the European Union will add Hezbollah to the list, saying that Britain is pushing forcefully for the move, joined by France, Germany and the Netherlands. The countries that support deeming Hezbollah a terrorist group say its involvement in the Burgas bombing, along with an attempted terror attacks against Israeli tourists in Cyprus, prove it has committed acts of terror on EU soil.