Three Saudis Killed in Missile Attack by Yemen Rebels, State Media Says

The three civilians were killed after a missile launched from Yemen struck the province of Jizan in southern Saudi Arabia, Saudi state media reports

File photo: A photo distributed by the Houthi Military Media shows the launch of a ballistic missile aimed at Saudi Arabia on March 25, 2018.
\ HANDOUT/ REUTERS

Three civilians were killed in the south of Saudi Arabia from a missile launched from Yemen by the Houthi movement, Saudi state media reported on Saturday night. 

The state-run Saudi Press Agency quoted military coalition spokesman Col. Turki al-Malki as announcing the deaths Saturday in Jizan province.
Al-Malki accused Yemen's Shiite rebels known as Houthis of firing a projectile that was "launched deliberately to target civilians."

The Houthis, an Iran-allied group that controls much of Yemen including the capital Sanaa, have fired a series of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, part of a three-year-old conflict in Yemen widely seen as a proxy battle between Saudi Arabia and Iran. 

>> Saudi Arabia's crown prince goes after the Bin Ladens

A U.S.-backed, Saudi-led military coalition is fighting against the Houthis on behalf of the government of President Abd Rabbu Mansour al-Hadi, who lives in exile in Riyadh.
The coalition has said it would retaliate against anyone who threatens the safety of its citizens and residents. 

Last month, the group fired a salvo of missiles at the capital Riyadh, saying it was targeting economic targets.