As the last remaining pockets of the military coup in Turkey were being squashed, flights were set to resume from Istanbul Atatürk Airport after hours on lockdown following the failed takeover by a faction of the military.
- An Anatomy of a Failed Turkish Coup
- Deep Rifts in Turkey Military Brass Boil Over Into Coup Attempt
- Turkey Purges Military as Failed Coup Leaders Arrested, Remaining Forces Surrender
Flights between Turkey and Israel were also set to resume.
Turkey's Anadolu Agency reported that authorities have issued an alarm to border gates and airports upon being informed that prominent members of the Gulen Movement, including journalists, might flee the country following the overnight attempted military coup.
The report says authorities discovered the plans after lists were found detailing the commanders and their deputies to be put in charge during the period of martial law if the coup had succeeded.
Turkish Airlines flights are due to resume as normal at 1100 GMT on Saturday, the flagship carrier's chairman told CNN Turk. The airline had diverted 35 airplanes and cancelled 32 flights on Saturday at Istanbul's main airport, Ilker Ayci told the broadcaster.
Turkish Airline requested passengers check online for update flight schedules to prevent what the airline called "inconveniences." The first Turkish Airline flight from Istanbul to Tel Aviv will take off at 11:05 and the first flight to Turkey from Israel was set depart at 2:15pm.
Hours ago, a flight took off from Israel to Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen International Airport.
The coup began with warplanes and helicopters roaring over Ankara and troops moving in to seal off the bridges over the Bosphorus Strait that links Europe and Asia in Istanbul.
Erdogan, who had been holidaying on the southwest coast when the coup was launched, flew into Istanbul before dawn on Saturday and was shown on TV outside Ataturk Airport.
Addressing a crowd of thousands of flag-waving supporters at the airport later, Erdogan said the government remained at the helm, although disturbances continued in Ankara.
Erdogan, whose Islamist-rooted ideology lies deeply at odds with supporters of modern Turkey's secular principles, said the plotters had tried to attack him in the resort town of Marmaris.
"They bombed places I had departed right after I was gone," he said. "They probably thought we were still there."
The death toll has risen to 90, state-run Anadolu Agency reported, with 1,154 people wounded.
Turkish authorities have detained 1,563 military personnel across the country.