Turkey Bombs Kurdish Sites as Ankara Death Toll Rises to 37

Turkish health minister reports 71 still being treated in hospital including 15 in serious condition as Turkish warplanes launch strikes on Kurds in Iraq.

Daren Butler
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Members of emergency services work at the scene of an explosion in Ankara, Turkey, on Sunday, March 13, 2016.
Members of emergency services work at the scene of an explosion in Ankara, Turkey, on Sunday, March 13, 2016. Credit: AP
Daren Butler

REUTERS -  Turkish warplanes bombed Kurdish camps Monday as the death toll in a car bomb attack in Ankara rose to 37 people, Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said, adding that 71 people were still being treated in hospital. 

Of those in hospital, 15 were in serious condition, he told reporters.

Sunday's bombing was the second such attack in the administrative heart of the city in under a month and two senior security officials told Reuters initial findings suggested the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group was responsible. 

Turkish security forces said Monday that evidence pointed to a Kurdish female member of the PKK militant group as one of those responsible for the attack.

She allegedly joined the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group in 2013, security officials said.

They identified the woman as having been born in 1992 and being from the eastern Turkish city of Kars.

Just after the announcement of an increase in the death toll, Turkish warplanes bombed camps belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, Turkey's army said.

Eleven warplanes carried out the strikes on eighteen recently identified targets, including ammunition depots and shelters and targets have been destroyed, the military said in a statement.

Turkey also declared a round-the-clock curfew in the southeastern town of Sirnak on Monday in order to carry out operations against Kurdish militants in the area, the provincial governor's office said in a statement.

It said the curfew will go into effect at 11 P.M. on Monday. Security forces have been carrying out operations in the mainly Kurdish southeast, where months of conflict have devastated much of the region.