Top Kurdish Lawyer Shot Dead in Turkey by Unidentified Gunman

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Kurdish lawyer and President of Diyarbakir Bar Tahir Elci (C) speaks just moments before he is shot dead on November 28, 2015 in Diyarbakir. The leading Kurdish lawyer was shot dead in southeast Turkey on November 28 after unknown attackers opened fire on a gathering in the mainly Kurdish province of Diyarbakir, triggering a shootout with police, hospital sources and witnesses said. Tahir Elci, head of the bar in Diyarbakir, who had been detained in October for alleged "terrorist propaganda", died of gunshot wounds to the head, hospital sources told AFP.
Kurdish lawyer and President of Diyarbakir Bar Tahir Elci (C) speaks just moments before he is shot dead on November 28, 2015 in Diyarbakir.Credit: AFP

REUTERS - An unidentified gunman on Saturday killed a top Kurdish lawyer who had been criticized in Turkey for saying the banned Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) was not a terrorist organisation.

Witnesses said Bar Association President Tahir Elci was shot in the head after making a statement to the media in Diyarbakir, the largest city in Turkey's troubled, mainly Kurdish southeast.

Hundreds of people have been killed since a ceasefire between the PKK and Turkish security forces collapsed in July, reigniting a conflict in which some 40,000 people have died since it began in 1984.

"The moment the statement ended, the crowd was sprayed with bullets," a local official from the pro-Kurdish HDP party, Omer Tastan, told Reuters.

"A single bullet struck Elci in the head," he said, adding that 11 people had also been injured in the incident.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said in a speech shortly after the incident that a policeman had also been killed during the attack in Diyarbakir.

"This incident shows how Turkey is right in its determination in the fight against terrorism," Erdogan said.

In a video clip of the incident taken by the Dogan News Agency, men hiding behind the minaret of a nearby mosque started firing at Elci and people standing with him.

"A person ran towards Tahir Elci, fired with one hand and then started to run away. Then fighting started," Dogan news agency reporter Felat Bozarslan said.

The Diyarbakir governor's office declared a curfew in the area after the incident.

Elci was facing trial for his comments about the PKK, which had infuriated state prosecutors.

Turkey, the United States and the European Union all classify the PKK as a terrorist organisation. The PKK is demanding greater autonomy for Turkey's Kurds.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: