Red Cross Says Saudi-led Airstrikes Killed More Than 100 in Yemen Prison

The attack was the deadliest so far this year by the coalition, which has faced international criticism for airstrikes that have killed civilians and hit non-military targets

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman
Amir Levy/Reuters

A Saudi-led coalition airstrike on a prison in southwest Yemen killed at least 100 people, an official from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Sunday.

Franz Rauchenstein, head of the ICRC delegation in Yemen, told Reuters by telephone after visiting the site that bodies were still being pulled from the rubble at the prison in Dhamar.

>> Read more: Iran, Yemen and two more bleeding fronts awaiting Trump's next tweet | Analysis

Houthi officials and residents said the airstrike targeted a complex used as a detention center in the city.

The attack was the deadliest so far this year by the coalition, which has faced international criticism for airstrikes that have killed civilians and hit non-military targets.

The coalition, which has been battling the Iran-aligned Houthi movement in Yemen for more than four years, said it hit a Houthi site storing drones and missiles.