A 24-year-old Gazan man was killed Friday by live Israeli military fire during protests along the Israel-Gaza border fence east of Rafah, Gaza's Health Ministry reported. An additional 30 protesters were injured including four minors.
The victim was identified as Abdallah Abdel al-Ail.
The organizing committee for the March of Return called for participation for today’s protests in a united stance against the “deal of the century” referring to Trump’s Middle East Peace Plan, emphasizing the importance of keeping the protests non-violent and not getting close to the fence.
>> Read more: Notes from Gaza: When will death stop falling from our skies? ■ For many Gazans, if flare-up with Israel brings relief – so be it ■ Qatari cash and Egyptian mediators brought Israel-Gaza calm, but for how long? | Analysis ■ After Gaza-Israel flare-up, I would ask Hamas' military chief this one question | Analysis
A source on the organizing committee told Haaretz that they are trying to calm the spirits as part of the implementation of the cease-fire understandings.
Sources in the Strip said that the marches were relatively restrained and that the organizers prevented people from approaching the border fence.
Israel reopened fishing zones along the coast of Gaza earlier Friday, expanding the zone to 12 nautical miles, as part of the implementation of cease-fire agreements mediated by Egypt between Israel and the two main organizations in the coastal enclave, Hamas and Islamic Jihad.
- Egyptian delegation in Gaza for talks in effort to maintain calm ahead of Nakba Day
- Thousands of Arab Israelis march on empty Palestinian village to commemorate Nakba
- After cease-fire, Gazans still waiting on Qatari money and warn of relapse into conflict
An Egyptian security delegation arrived Thursday in Gaza for a round of meetings with Hamas officials and representatives of other Palestinian factions, amid ongoing efforts to ensure a calm between Israel and the Strip after a violent escalation that ended late Sunday with a cease-fire agreement.
The Qatari envoy to Israel and the Palestinians, Mohammed al-Emadi, is expected to return to Gaza on Friday, or within the coming days, in order to transfer the monthly Qatari funds that pay the salaries of Hamas officials and provide for impoverished families in the Strip.
Four Israelis and 25 Palestinians were killed last week in the deadliest round of violence between Israel and Gaza since 2014. Much like previous bouts of hostilities over the past several years, the outline of the cease-fire agreement mirrored the previous understandings reached at the end of Operation Protective Edge in 2014 and Operation Pillar of Defense in 2012.
The Palestinian groups in Gaza told Egyptian mediators earlier this week that they are giving Israel one week to implement the cease-fire agreements – including the reopening of the fishing zone, the transfer of Qatari money and the reopening of the border crossings for the entry of goods.
The reopening of the border crossings has been delayed due to Israel's decision to close all crossings into the Strip and the West Bank during Israel's Memorial Day and Independence day.