Palestinian Teen Seriously Wounded in Clashes With Israeli Army in West Bank

Joseph Abd al-Fatah is hospitalized in a Nablus hospital with a fractured skull after being hit by a rubber-tipped bullet in the Palestinian village of Qaddum

Hagar Shezaf
Jack Khoury
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Clashes break out between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians in the West Bank village of Kafr Qaddum, November, 2020.
Clashes break out between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians in the West Bank village of Kafr Qaddum, November, 2020. Credit: JAAFAR ASHTIYEH / AFP
Hagar Shezaf
Jack Khoury

A 17-year-old Palestinian sustained on Friday a critical head injury by a rubber-tipped bullet in clashes with the Israeli army in the West Bank.

Joseph Abd al-Fatah, who took part in the weekly protest march in the Palestinian village of Kafr Qaddum, is hospitalized in the intensive care unit at Rafidia Hospital in Nablus with a fractured skull and cerebral hemorrhage.

Since 2011, Qaddum residents have held weekly demonstrations against the closure of the village’s main access road, which leads to Nablus. It was closed due to an expansion of the nearby settlement of Kedumim in 2003.

Joseph Abd al-Fatah, 17, hospitalized in Nablus after he was hit by a rubber bullet in clashes with theIDF in the West Bank, November 28, 2020.

Murad Eshtawi, the coordinator of the popular struggle in Kafr Qaddum, told Haaretz that Abd al-Fatah is receiving treatment and is currently in a serious but stable condition. The Palestinian Health Ministry has yet to comment on the incident.   

According to a Palestinian report, 14 Palestinians were wounded by rubber-tipped bullets in clashes with the army in Kafr Qaddum, Ein Samia and Kafr Malik in the West Bank. In addition, dozens of Palestinians suffered from smoke inhalation.

In August, Haaretz reported that Israeli soldiers had placed at least three explosive devices along a road in Kafr Qaddum that runs near a residential area.

The soldiers entered the village shortly to plant the explosive devices, which were armed and ready to explode when touched. The explosives were hidden with stones, cloth and weapons crates.

Military sources said that the explosives were planted to create deterrence, while the military's spokesman said that "after it was discovered that this could lead to injuries, forces worked to remove them from the area."