The Palestinian Authority holds Israel responsible for the escalating violence in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, a spokesman of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Friday.
"A continuation of Israel's policy of occupation and crime toward the Palestinian people will raise the tension and bring a dangerous escalation," Nabil Abu Rudeineh said. "We call on the international community to intervene and pressure Israel to cease its aggression, so that the situation does not get out of control."
The statement comes after three Palestinians opened fire at Border Police at the gate of the Salem military base, near Jenin, after crossing into Israel. The forces returned fire and hit them, killing two of the Palestinians and seriously wounding the third, who was evacuated to Haemek Hospital in Afula. The Palestinians arrived there by foot after breaching the border fence, and were armed with improvised "Carl Gustav" rifles.
On Thursday night, police arrested 15 Palestinians in clashes between Palestinians and Jews in Sheikh Jarrah on suspicion of rioting, unruliness, throwing stones and fireworks and attacking officers and civilians. The East Jerusalem neighborhood has become a flashpoint, and the situation was enflamed after the far-right, Kahanist lawmaker Itamar Ben-Gvir relocated his office there in what he called a protest against police's failure to protect Jewish residents. On Friday, he decided to take down the makeshift, outdoor office after a request by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Israel police prepare for Ramadan prayers amid East Jerusalem unrest
- Israeli officers kill two Palestinians after shooting attack on army base near West Bank
- Iran's Khamenei says fight against Israel is a public duty
On Sunday, three Israeli yeshiva students were shot in a terror attack at Tapuah Junction in the West Bank. One of the teenage victims, Yehuda Guetta, was critically wounded in the shooting, and died on Wednesday night. One of his friends was wounded lightly, another seriously. Police and Border Police announced on Wednesday that the suspected shooter was apprehended and had been taken in for questioning by the Shin Bet security service.