Israel Rearrests Palestinian Teen Who Was Released by a Military Judge

Amal Nakhleh, who suffers from a rare autoimmune disease, was charged in November with hurling stones. Military prosecutors said that if released on bail, he would be put in administrative detention

Amira Hass
Amira Hass
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Amal Nakhleh.
Amal Nakhleh.
Amira Hass
Amira Hass

 A 17-year-old Palestinian who was arrested on November 2, charged with hurling stones and released on bail, was arrested again Thursday by Israeli soldiers.

Amal Nakhleh, who suffers from a rare autoimmune disease, was released on bail 40 days ago by a military judge. Before the judge's decision, military prosecutors said he would be put in administrative detention – detention without trial – if released.

Fundamentalist Israel is no longer Jewish, says Avrum Burg on Haaretz Weekly podcast. LISTEN

-- : --

On Sunday, he was urgently summoned by the Palestinian General Intelligence Service to its headquarters in Ramallah in the West Bank to warn him that Israel is claiming he was “inciting and causing problems,” Nakhleh's father told Haaretz.

Initially, the Palestinian intelligence officer agreed to postpone the summons by a day because Nakhleh was with his father in the hospital to undergo tests. But a few hours later the officer ordered the father to bring his son to the headquarters urgently, where he was held from 6 p.m. until the next morning.

The Palestinian intelligence service told the teenager and his family that he was being held to protect him from being arrested by Israel. Upon his release the next morning, he and his family were told “the matter has been arranged and the problem was solved," meaning there was no fear that he would be arrested again.

But in the early hours of Thursday, Nakhleh's mother said, about 10 Israeli soldiers appeared at their home. She also said that they allowed her son to put on warm clothes and reminded him to bring his medicines. They left the house with him 15 minutes later.

His parents said that since he was released on bail, Nakhleh – who is taking his matriculation exams this year – made an effort to make up what he had missed in his studies. He also went back to taking his medical tests because there was a disagreement between the doctors as to the appropriate treatment.

Nakhleh underwent an operation during the summer to remove a benign growth in his thymus gland. He was indicted for throwing rocks a number of times, but prosecutors failed to mention the dates on which he allegedly threw them.  

On November 24, military judge Sharon Keinan ordered to release him on bond. The military prosecution appealed the ruling to the Military Court of Appeals, saying a “confidential file” concerning Nakhleh  existed, which would justify his being placed in administrative detention.

But on December 10, Judge Lt. Col. Yair Tirosh rejected the prosecution’s appeal after commenting the confidential information was not convincing, and ordered to carry out Keinan’s ruling to release Nakhleh.  

The Shin Bet spokesperson's office told Haaretz that "Nakhleh was arrested on suspicion of carrying out a recent terror activity".

Click the alert icon to follow topics: