Two Palestinians Killed in Israeli Army Strike Overnight, Gaza's Health Ministry Says

The airstrike targeted a group of young people who had gathered near a cemetery, reports in Gaza say

FILE PHOTO: Explosions from Israeli bombardment in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, July 20, 2018.
AFP

UPDATE: Gaza Health Ministry backtracks, says two Palestinians killed in accidental explosion, not by Israel

Two Palestinian men were killed in an Israeli military strike on the northern Gaza Strip just after midnight on Sunday, Gaza's Health Ministry said. The ministry identified the two as Ayman Angar and Mohand Hamouda, both 24. 

According to reports in the coastal enclave, the airstrike targeted a group of young people who had gathered near a cemetery.

The deaths may have resulted from a work accident involving a Palestinian militant cell. The Israeli military questioned the validity of the report, however, and said Hamas blames Israel for incidents it has no connection with. 

The Israeli military has not confirmed the reports, which came a day after Gaza's Health Ministry said three Palestinian demonstrators, including two teenagers, were killed by Israeli army fire during Friday's protests along the Israel-Gaza border. Muamen Fathi Elhamas, 17-year-old from Rafah, reportedly succumbed to his wounds Saturday morning. Those killed Friday were identified as Majdi al-Satri, 12, and Razi Abu Mustafa, 43. 

According to the ministry, a total of 264 Palestinian demonstrators were injured in the clashes, 90 of whom were wounded by live fire.

On Saturday, media outlets in Gaza said an Israeli tank fired at a group of Palestinians in the central Strip. No injuries were reported. Earlier in the day, six fires broke out as a result of airborne firebombs being hurled at Israeli communities along the Gaza border.