Lebanese President Michel Aoun said on Thursday Israel's overnight air strikes, the first since 2006, showed an escalation in its "aggressive intent" towards his country.
Aoun also said in a tweet the strikes were a direct threat to the security and stability of southern Lebanon and violated UN Security Council resolutions.
LISTEN: How Israel’s Olympic hero challenged a nation’s identity
Israeli fighter jets shelled targets across the Lebanese border after a day of tit-for-tat attacks between Israel and militants operating from southern Lebanon.
The Israeli military said that it struck "the launch sites and infrastructure used for terror in Lebanon from which the rockets were launched," referring to three projectiles fired from Lebanon earlier in the day. Two landed in Israeli territory and one failed to cross into Israel.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said on Thursday that the strikes in Lebanon were "warning shots. It's obvious we are capable of doing a lot more, and we hope we won't be dragged into it."
- Did Hezbollah know about rocket fire at Israel? Either answer is a cause for concern
- As Lebanon crumbles, so could Israel’s deterrence
- On Beirut blast anniversary, Jordan warns Lebanon crisis 'could spill over beyond its borders'
Although the source of the missiles has not yet been verified, the IDF also warned Lebanon that it is responsible for all rocket fire from its territory that is fired toward Israel.
Following the escalation on Wednesday, UNIFIL’s Head of Mission and Force Commander, Maj. Gen. Stefano Del Col, was in immediate contact with the parties, urging the parties to "Exercise maximum restraint to avoid further escalation, especially on this solemn anniversary."