Iran's state television on Friday aired footage it said disproved U.S. President Donald Trump's assertion that the U.S. Navy has destroyed an Iranian drone in the Gulf.
The video published by the Revolutionary Guards showed aerial views of warships. The television station said the drone had captured the footage and timing notations showed the drone was still filming after Washington said it had been downed in the Strait of Hormuz.
>> Read more: U.S.-Iran tensions: What key players around Trump are pushing for ■ A threat foreign and domestic: U.S.-Iran war drums risk dividing Trump's base ■ Strait of Hormuz: What happens if the world's key oil artery gets blocked?
In response to the video, Trump affirmed that he is confident U.S. forces shot down the Iranian drone off Iran's southern coast, after Iran denied losing any of its unmanned aircraft over the Gulf.
On Thursday, Trump said that the drone had flown to within 1,000 yards (900 meters) of the U.S. warship Boxer and had ignored "multiple calls to stand down".
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi denied such claims on Friday. "We have not lost any drone in the Strait of Hormuz nor anywhere else. I am worried that USS Boxer has shot down their own UAS [Unmanned Aerial System] by mistake!," Araqchi said on Twitter, referring to a U.S. warship in the strategic waterway.
The incident happened with tensions running high between Iran and the United States over President Donald Trump's decision to pull the U.S. out of the Iran nuclear deal.
- U.S. destroyed Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz, Trump says; Tehran denies
- From Iraq to Yemen, drones raise U.S. alarm over Iranian plans
- Iran releases video showing seized oil tanker matches disappeared UAE vessel
Last month, Iran downed a U.S. drone and escalation between the sides had raised concerns the two countries might go to war. The U.S. has been deploying military assets, such as the Boxer, to the region.