Iran Says if It Decides to Block Strait of Hormuz, It Will Do It 'Publicly'

Iran's Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Major General Mohammad Baqeri made the statement to Iran's Fars news agency

A U.S sailor keeping watch from the captain's bridge onboard the USS John C. Stennis as it makes its way through the Strait of Hormuz in 2018.
\ Hamad I Mohammed/ REUTERS

Iran's military denied on Monday being behind attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week, and said if it decided to block Strait of Hormuz, a vital gateway in the Gulf for the oil industry, it will do it publicly.

Iran's Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Major General Mohammad Baqeri was quoted as saying by Fars news agency: "Regarding the new incidents in the Persian Gulf... if the Islamic Republic of Iran decides to block exports of oil through the Strait of Hormuz, it is militarily strong enough to do that fully and publicly."

Haaretz Weekly Ep. 31Haaretz

'Tanker Wars': 30 years later, could the U.S. and Iran repeat history in the Gulf | Explained