Soleimani's Replacement Says Iran Will 'Continue the Course' Set Out by the Killed General

Iran's Guards threaten 'harsher revenge soon' against the U.S.

Gen. Esmail Ghaani speaks just outside Tehran, Iran, May 24, 2017.
Hossein Zohrevand,AP

The new head of Iran's Quds Force said he would continue the course pursued by his predecessor, Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike last week.

"We will continue in this luminous path with power," Brigadier General Esmail Ghaani said, noting that Iranian missile strikes carried out on U.S. targets at a base in Iraq on Wednesday would eventually drive America out of the region.

READ MORE: Can America win an unconventional war against Iran? ■ A leaked letter revealed Trump's plan to leave the Middle East ■ Iran retaliated for Soleimani’s killing. It doesn’t mean it ends there

Another Revolutionary Guards commander said Iran would take "harsher revenge soon" after Tehran launched missile attacks on U.S. targets in Iraq in retaliation for last week's U.S. killing of an Iranian general, Tasnim news agency reported on Thursday.

The agency was quoting senior commander Abdollah Araghi, speaking after U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Iran appeared to be "standing down" after the missile strikes that did not harm any U.S. troops in Iraq.

In a separate report, Tasnim quoted the deputy Guards head, Ali Fadavi, as saying Iranian missile attacks on U.S. targets were a display of Iran's military power and said U.S. forces "couldn't do a damn thing."