Hezbollah Chief Doubles Down on Saudi 'Failure' in Yemen, Slams 'Fabricated' Diplomatic Crisis

Hassan Nasrallah defended Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi's comments, which prompted Gulf states to recall their envoys, as 'fair and objective'

Reuters
Jack Khoury
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaking on a broadcast, last week.
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaking on a broadcast.Credit: REUTERS TV/ REUTERS
Reuters
Jack Khoury

Lebanon's Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said on Thursday the Saudi-led war in Yemen was a "resounding failure" and could only be resolved via a ceasefire, lifting of a Saudi blockade and political negotiations.

Nasrallah said Saudi Arabia and Arab Gulf nations had "fabricated" a diplomatic row with Lebanon that involved recalling their envoys to exert pressure on Hezbollah, an ally of Yemen's Houthi rebels who are fighting Saudi-backed forces.

Nasrallah said the row was a response to gains by Houthi rebels against Saudi-backed forces in Yemen's Marib but the pressure would not work and the city's eventual fall would have "very big" consequences.

In his first comments on the matter, Nasrallah said Saudi Arabia's reaction to critical comments by Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi about the Saudi-led war in Yemen were "very exaggerated".

Nasrallah said Kordahi's comments were "calm and objective".

The Hezbollah leader also addressed tensions with Israel, which has increased military preparation on its northern border with Lebanon. "For the first time in 70 years, Israel fears a major campaign in the Galilee region," he said. 

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments