An Egyptian security official says border guards have shot dead an African migrant near the border with Israel.
The official said the 25-year-old Eritrean refused to surrender when police fired warning shots in the air and continued running toward the Israeli border near Rafah in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on Saturday.
In a separate incident, the official says authorities arrested 26 migrants from Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia before they reached the border. He spoke oncondition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.
Hundreds of Africans seeking political asylum and jobs try to illegally enter Israel every year, in long perilous desert trips, often with the help of Bedouin traffickers. Egyptian guards trying to stem the flow have killed dozens.
Last week, Israel granted entry to two Eritrean women and a 14-year-old boy who were stuck on the Israel-Egypt border for eight days. The remaining 18 men were ordered to return to Egypt. The three Eritreans who were granted entry into Israel were immediately transferred to the Saharonim detention facility.
The Prime Minister's Office confirmed Thursday that the 21 African migrants have left the border, where they were trapped in between the fences for eight days with limited food and water, under watch by IDF troops.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commented on the deal that was reached, saying he is determined to stop migrants from entering Israel. "It is important that everyone understand that Israel is not another destination for infiltrators," he said. "We are determined to stop the influx of infiltrations that has ensued."
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now