The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in southern Egypt the day before.
The group's semi-official Amaq news agency reported in an online statement that a group affiliated to Islamic State had carried out the attack, putting the death toll at 32.
The Egyptian government said that 29 people had been killed in the attack, the latest in a series of militant assaults on the country's Christian minority.
On Friday, gunmnen opened fire on a group of Coptic Christians as they were driving to a monastery in the Minya province, south of Cairo. The Egyptian Health Ministry has confirmed that a large number of children were among the victims in a trip that a source in the Coptic Church said was organized for children.
Egyptian air force planes later carried out six strikes directed at camps near Derna in Libya where Cairo believes the militants responsible for the attack were trained, Egyptian military sources said.
Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now