Turkish and Iranian military commanders agreed in a phone call to continue joint operations against militants from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) for "some time", Turkey's Interior Ministry said on Wednesday.
Iran earlier this week denied a Turkish announcement that the two countries were carrying out a joint operation against the PKK.
Turkey's military regularly carries out air strikes against PKK militants in northern Iraq and has carried out operations to arrest alleged members of the group inTurkey. The PKK is deemed a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and European Union.
Two Turkish soldiers were killed and eight others were wounded on Saturday in a clash during operations into northern Iraq,Turkey's defense ministry said.
8 years of war in Syria: Assad Won Syria's Civil War. Can he Now Survive an Israeli Attack? | Doctor, 'Butcher,' President: The Journey of Syria's Infamous Leader | How Assad defied the odds, won in Syria and pushed the U.S. out
Turkey's Interior Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday that Turkish Gendarme Commander Arif Cetin and Iranian Border Forces Commander Qassem Rezai discussed the joint operations.
In a separate phone call Turkish and Iranian deputy interior ministers welcomed the stage reached in the joint operations, the ministry said.
- Islamic State Fighters Pinned on Syrian Riverbank, Warplanes Fly Above
- Damascus Threatens Kurds With Military Defeat, Iran Demands U.S. Leave Syria
Earlier this week Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey and Iran were carrying out a joint operation against the PKK, describing it as the first of its kind, but an Iranian source said Iran's armed forces were not part of the operation.