Syria Says Agreement Reached on UN Chemical Probe

Syrian Foreign Ministry expresses satisfaction over talks with UN delegation tasked with investigation of chemical weapons allegations.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry says talks with a UN delegation tasked with  investigating chemical weapons allegations in the nation's civil war have "resulted in an agreement on ways of moving forward."

A joint statement by the ministry and the UN that appeared on Syria's official SANA news agency's website on Saturday says the UN team met with Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem earlier this week. It did not elaborate. The UN team couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Damascus has asked the UN to investigate an alleged chemical attack in Khan al-Assal, a village in the north. The Syrian regime and rebels accuse each other of using chemical agents in a March 19 incident.

President Bashar Assad's government refused to have a possible inquiry include other alleged chemical attack sites.

Meanwhile, Syrian opposition officials reported on Saturday that Israel Air Force planes attacked a Syrian army base near Quneitra overnight. According to the report, the targed was a weapons convoy en route to Hezbollah in Lebanon. Syrian rebel officials claimed thtat the Israeli jets were heard in the skies of Quneitra overnight.

The first report of the incident was reported at around 4:00 A.M. by one of the Syrian rebel groups, called the Revolutionary Committee in Quneitra and the Golan. Other Syrian rebel groups also reported the attack on their social media pages.

If these reports are correct, this would be the fifth time that Israel has attacked a weapons cache in Syria over the past few months. A few weeks ago, according to foreign media reports, Israel attacked a Syrian army weapons cache outside Latakia. The cache included Russian-manufactures Yakhont anti-ship missiles, part of a shipment from Russia that reached the port of Latakia not long before.

Over the past few months Israel has attacked convoys carrying anti-aircraft missiles near Damascus, as well as Fattah-110 surface-to-surface missiles. Israel claimed in each case that the objective of the attack was to prevent advanced Syrian or Iranian weapons from falling into the hands of the terrorist organization Hezbollah.