Lifeguard, Manager Arrested After Boy Drowns at TA Water Park

The manager and the lifeguard on duty at a Tel Aviv water park were arrested yesterday in connection with the drowning death earlier in the day of Musa Amash, 11, of Jisr al-Zarqa. Police are focusing on why the lifeguard, a 20-year-old Ramat Gan resident who was arrested, did not notice that Amash had drowned. They are also examining the role of the manager of the facility, Meimadion in Hayarkon Park, a 45-year-old man from Rosh Ha'ayin who was also detained, in drafting the park's rescue procedures.

The Amash family arrived at the park early yesterday morning. Musa left his parents and made for the water slides. At about 1:30 P.M, a man in a pool at the bottom of a slide noticed a body in the pool and called for help. The lifeguard and a medic employed by the park began resuscitation measures on Musa, who was not breathing when he was pulled out of the water.

"We got a call about an unconscious person at Meimadion," MDA paramedic Yuval Nissim told Haaretz yesterday. "We got there within a few minutes and among a huge group of people we found a boy of about 10 who was completely blue, without a pulse or respiration. Next to him was the medic and lifeguard who performed basic resuscitation and then we started doing advanced resuscitation. Some said he'd been in the water for three minutes, others said five."

Musa was taken to Sourasky-Ichilov Medical Center, where he was declared dead.

Awad Amash, Musa's father, related yesterday that it was Musa who insisted on coming to Meimadion. "I was with my wife near the pool," he said. "Because there were so many children, I lost eye-contact with both children, and suddenly I heard people shouting that they were taking Musa out of the water. I started shouting, 'Where's the lifeguard?,' 'Bring an ambulance,' but there was no lifeguard and no ambulance."

Amash said that other bathers began trying to revive his son, since it took some time before the lifeguard and medical staff of the park arrived. "The lifeguard wasn't there, I don't know where he was."

The incident is being investigated by the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor, in addition to the police. Meimadion had no response last night.

Musa Amash's body was sent for an autopsy. He leaves behind, in addition to his parents, one brother and two sisters.