Jordan's Prime Minister Abdullah Ensour sent a condolence letter to the families of the two perpetrators of Tuesday's attack on a synagogue, which left five dead and several wounded, according to a report by Israel's Channel 2.
The letter was sent on Friday evening to the families of Ghassan and Oday Abu Jamal, Channel 2 said.
The assailants, Palestinians from the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabal Mukaber, entered the Kehilat Bnei Torah synagogue in the west Jerusalem neighborhood of Har Nof synagogue on Tuesday morning with knives, axes and guns and attacked worshipers. The two were killed in a shootout with police.
According to the report, in the letter, Ensour wrote, "I ask Allah to wrap them abundantly with mercy, and with his contentment, and that he will give all of you patience, recovery from the agony and good comfort." It was also decided that the families would be able to receive condolences on Thursday and Friday in Jordan's capital, Amman, Channel 2 reported.
Earlier this week, Israeli news site NRG reported that Jordan's parliament opened a cabinet meeting on Wednesday with a moment of silence in memory of the perpetrators. After the moment of silence, Lower House Speaker Atef Tarwaneh recited a prayer in their memory, and described them as "martyrs," Algemeiner reported.
On Thursday, defense officials issued demolition orders for the families of the attackers, as well as for two other Palestinians who carried out recent terror attacks in Jerusalem – one on the light-rail system, and one who attempted to assassinate Temple Mount activist, Uehud Glick.
The families were told they had 48 hours to petition the move in court.
The orders follow a pledge by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to step up home demolitions as a punitive measure for a wave of attacks, many of them by Palestinian residents of East Jerusalem
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now