The lone surviving suspect in a neo-Nazi killing case that shocked Germany admitted on Wednesday that she was told after the fact about murders committed by fellow members of an underground cell but denied participating actively in them.
- Germany pays $2.6 million to victims of neo-Nazi violence
- Murder trial of German neo-Nazi cell member to open in Munich
- German neo-Nazi cell bigger than previously thought
Breaking her two-and-a-half-year silence in a closely-watched trial in Munich, Beate Zschaepe, through a statement read out by her lawyer, said: "I was involved neither in the preparations, nor in the carrying out" of the murders.
Zschaepe, 40, is charged with involvement in the murders of eight Turks, a Greek and a German police woman between 2000 and 2007, as well as two bombings in immigrant areas of Cologne and 15 bank robberies.
She faces life imprisonment if found guilty. Until Wednesday, Zschaepe had remained silent since her arrest in 2011.