An Israeli property development will be ordered to reconstruct an historic London building that it demolished without permission, according to the London Evening Standard and other media.
The company, Tel Aviv-based CLTX Ltd., called in bulldozers earlier this month to demolish the Carlton Tavern, a pub dating back to the early 1920s in Maida Vale, west London.
The Westminster City Council, which is responsible for the area, said that it will next week issue an unprecedented enforcement notice requiring the developer to “recreate in facsimile the building as it stood immediately prior to its demolition”.
Robert Davis, deputy leader of Westminster council, said he was “absolutely horrified” at the “scandalous” destruction.
The enforcement notice is scheduled to be approved by the council’s planning committee next Tuesday. It will stop the owners from selling the site until the building has been restored.
The Carlton Tavern was the only building in its street not destroyed during the blitz in World War II and was considered an important historical building.
Patsy Lord, the landlady, said she had been told by the owners on Easter Monday to close for an "inventory." When she came back two days later, she found that the 94-year-old building had been reduced to rubble.
The council has arranged for the pub to be listed as a non-designated heritage asset, a status which should prevent it being pulled down in future.
In January, the council threw out a planning application to replace the redbrick pub with flats.
CLTX, a relatively unknown company with only one listed director – Tel Aviv lawyer Ori Calif – is said to be appealing the decision to refuse consent. The Evening Standard quoted the company's local agent, Kieran Rafferty of KR Planning, as saying: “I am not authorized to comment.”
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now