Holocaust Survivor, 90, Arrested in Missouri Protest

Hedy Epstein is a long-time activist for civil and humanitarian causes, who has not feared to challenge the law before.

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Hedy Epstein, center, shouting slogans in Cairo on behalf of the people of the Gaza Strip, Dec. 29, 2009.
Hedy Epstein, center, shouting slogans in Cairo on behalf of the people of the Gaza Strip, Dec. 29, 2009. Credit: AP

A 90-year-old Holocaust survivor has joined the fray of protests in Missouri regarding the shooting death of Michael Brown, even being arrested Monday, according to local news outlets.

Blogger Steven Hsieh Nation took a photograph of police escorting Hedy Epstein after arresting her for failure to disperse in St. Louis and posted the story on The Nation.

“I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager. I didn’t think I would have to do it when I was 90,” Epstein told The Nation, as two officers walked her to a police van. “We need to stand up today so that people won’t have to do this when they’re 90.”

Epstein's website tells the story of someone who has been an activist for civil and humanitarian causes for most of her life.

"As a peace delegate, Hedy journeyed to Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Cambodia in 1989," according to her website.

She has also been taken an activist stance in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. "Hedy visited the Israeli Occupied West Bank five times since 2003, to witness the facts on the ground," reads her biography on the website. "She participated in several non-violent demonstrations, together with Israelis, Palestinians & other internationals, in opposition to Israel's occupation of Palestinian land, the 25-foot high cement wall, and the demolition of Palestinian homes and olive orchards."

In 2003, she came to Israel to protest the building of the separation barrier, and the Israeli government deported another activist, Anne Petter, in order to prevent her from filming Epstein's protest march along the barrier.

In 2009, Epstein declared a hunger strike after Egyptian authorities prevented her and others from marching to the U.S. embassy in Cairo to seek assistance to reach the Gaza Strip.

The following year, she joined the Gaza Freedom March, which was a failed attempt by hundreds of protesters to travel by bus from Cairo to the Gaza Strip.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: