German Court Throws Out Case of Former SS Man for Lack of Evidence

The 89-year-old was charged with murder and accessory to murder in connection with the 1944 slaughter in southwestern France when 642 men, women and children were killed.

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail

A German court on Tuesday threw out the case of a former SS man accused of involvement in the largest civilian massacre in Nazi-occupied France, saying there was not enough evidence to bring the 89-year-old to trial.

Cologne resident Werner C., whose last name has not been revealed in accordance with German privacy laws, was charged with murder and accessory to murder in connection with the 1944 slaughter in Oradour-sur-Glane in southwestern France.

Dortmund prosecutors had alleged that the suspect shot 25 men as part of a firing squad, and then helped as troops blockaded and set fire to a church, in which dozens of women and children were burned alive.

In total 642 men, women and children were killed.

Werner C. denied the charges, saying that he was at the village but never fired a shot and wasn't otherwise involved in the slaughter.

The martyr village of Oradour-sur-Glane, central France, where 642 citizens including 500 women and children were killed locked up in a church intentionally set on fire by a SS division in 1944.Credit: AP

In its ruling, the Cologne state court said no witness statements are able to disprove the suspect's contention, nor is there any reliable documentary evidence that he was part of the massacre.

"In a trial it could probably only be proved the suspect was in the area during the massacre in Oradour-sur-Glane as he has consistently maintained," the court said. "This mere presence is not enough to prove accessory to murder without the proof of other circumstances."

The court's ruling can be appealed.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott