This Day in Jewish History |

1854: Europe's First Modern Rabbinical Seminary Opens

The Juedisch-Theologisches Seminar (Jewish Theological Seminary) operated from 1854 until 1938, ordaining some 250 rabbis.

David Green
David B. Green
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Jewish Theological Seminary in Breslau (now Wroclaw).
Jewish Theological Seminary in Breslau (now Wroclaw).Credit: Judaica Europeana
David Green
David B. Green

On this day in 1854, the Juedisch-Theologisches Seminar (Jewish Theological Seminary) opened, in Breslau, then Germany, today Poland. The institution was the first modern rabbinical seminary in Central Europe, and a philosophical forerunner to today’s Conservative/Masorti movement.

The seminary was established by the estate of a businessman named Jonas Fraenkel, who had left instructions and funding for that purpose. Fraenkel had made clear his desire to have Rabbi Abraham Geiger head the new institution, but the executors of his estate viewed Geiger, the founder of what became Reform Judaism, as too radical. Instead they turned to Rabbi Zacharias Frankel (1801-1875), a Prague-born rabbi and historian. The choice of Frankel (no relation to Jonas Fraenkel) over Geiger anticipated the differences that distinguish between Conservative and Reform Judaism to this day.

Zacharias Frankel promoted an approach called “positive-historical Judaism,” which viewed the “positive” necessity of traditional Jewish law and practice to Jewish life, on the one hand, and a “historical,” or critical, reading of Jewish texts and the Jewish past, on the other. Frankel argued that Jewish law, although authoritative, had always been a constantly evolving entity, and that it could not exist in isolation from the community it served.

This placed the Breslau seminary in the middle ground, between the Reform of Geiger -- which took the liberties it felt were necessary to make Judaism compatible with modern life, including dispensing with Hebrew in the liturgy -- and the neo-Orthodoxy of Geiger’s former classmate Samson Raphael Hirsch. Hirsch, the forerunner of modern Orthodoxy, also believed that the modern Jew could participate in contemporary society, but for him Jewish law was divinely bestowed and thus immutable.

The Breslau seminary operated openly from 1854 until 1938, ordaining some 250 rabbis, and offering courses for teachers and youth leaders as well. Its building was sacked during Kristallnacht, November 9-10, 1938. Following that, despite Nazi orders to close, it continued operating secretly, and ordained its last two rabbis on February 21, 1939.

Much of its library, too, one of the world’s greatest Judaica collections, was destroyed, although parts have been tracked down around the world in recent years.

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

בנימין נתניהו השקת ספר

Netanyahu’s Israel Is About to Slam the Door on the Diaspora

עדי שטרן

Head of Israel’s Top Art Academy Leads a Quiet Revolution

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

Skyscrapers in Ramat Gan and Tel Aviv.

Israel May Have Caught the Worst American Disease, New Research Shows

ג'אמיל דקוור

Why the Head of ACLU’s Human Rights Program Has Regrets About Emigrating From Israel

ISRAEL-VOTE

Netanyahu’s Election Win Dealt a Grievous Blow to Judaism