This simple borscht has a gorgeous color and a distinct taste.
- Simple Passover Nosh, for Jews Who Don't Want to Be Slaves in the Kitchen
- Modern Manna Recipe / Chicken Liver With Caramelized Onion Over Mashed Potatoes
- Modern Manna Recipe / Chrein (Jewish-style Horesradish)
You can use the beets for chrein-making, or grate a couple into the cold soup.
Yields 4 cups
5-6 medium beets, peeled
4 cups water
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2- 3 egg yolks
1. In a pot arrange the peeled beets in water. Bring to boil over high heat, lower to low heat, cover and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the beets are soft.
2. Use the beets for making chrein. Mix the beets water with salt, sugar and lemon juice and chill in the fridge for a few hours.
3. Serve cold over steamed potatoes with sour cream or blend in egg yolks and drink with ice cubes.
For more recipes, check out Food & Wine on Haaretz.com