Use a meat grinder if possible. Otherwise grate the beets and the horseradish on a grater with small holes.
- Simple Passover Nosh, for Jews Who Don't Want to Be Slaves in the Kitchen
- Modern Manna Recipe / Chicken Liver With Caramelized Onion Over Mashed Potatoes
- Modern Manna Recipe / Cold Borscht With Egg Yolk
Reuven Meir from Maayan Ha’Bira restaurant cooks the beets with the peel on and peels them when the beets are soft, which is easier. But if you plan to use the cooking water for the cold borscht recipe, then peel the beets before cooking.
5-6 medium beets, peeled
5 cups water
1/2 lb. peeled horseradish
3 fl.oz. white vinegar 5% acidity
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon table salt
1. In a small pot cover the beets with the water, bring to boil over high heat, lower the heat, cover and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the beets are soft. Keep the cooking water if you wish to prepare the cold borscht!
2. Measure 1 lb. of the cooked beets. With a meat grinder grind the beets and the horseradish. Mix in the vinegar, sugar and salt. Put in a container and seal well.