Roasted walnuts are ground and are used with the bulgar to add flavor and to make the salad perfect for Tu B’shvat.
- When life hands you fruit and nuts, make a Tu Bishvat Seder
- Recipe / Almond and orange braid
- The best Tu Bishvat staples in one festive tart
1 cup walnut
1/2 cup thin bulgar (#1)
3/4 teaspoon salt
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 minced garlic clove
1 1/2 tablespoon sumac
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch mint, finely chopped
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
6 cups arugula, finely chopped
1 jalapenio, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup dried sour cherries
1. Roast the walnuts: Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Mix the walnuts and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
2. Put the bulgar in a fine sieve or a fine mesh colander and wash under running water for 30 seconds. Put in a large bowl. Add the salt, lemon juice, garlic and sumac and mix.
3. When the walnuts are completely cool put them in the food processor and pulse a few times until they’re about the size of a rice grain. Add the bulgar.
4. Add the olive oil and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Adjust seasoning to taste.